Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Invisible Hand of the 20th and 21st Century


They ask nothing of us—apart from a general request to abstain from the human tendencies that include stealing, lying, and brutalizing each another. They invent the technologies we use, set the standards of fashion, manage vast fortunes, and seem to live forever. But more importantly, they work night and day to protect the world from villains and imbeciles who would destroy the very tectonic plates beneath the Earth's crust, just to attain ultimate power. The Illuminati is too weak an organization to hold them in check and Forbes richest couldn't pay for their lifestyle. These few ladies, barons, and sultans (LBS) would be hailed as heroes, if their work was known. I call one of them "boss."

The LBS motto is "Set others free with an invisible hand." This motto was found in a small fortune cookie given to me by the perennial fashion plate and an original LBS member, Lady Kitty Rosewater. At the time, I was a New York City doorman, or rather door person, at one of her many residences. One bright afternoon she threw the cookie to me after returning from a drive to the country. She later emerged from the building near the end of my shift in order to present a robotic plexiglass arm to me. Was it a play on the motto? Did it mean that I was let in on the secret? Only Lady Rosewater could convey such a subtle message with this kind of daring maneuver in mid-afternoon. I have collected may relics since that time and accrued countless hours as the ever faithful assistant to Lady Kitty Rosewater.

Read the following correspondences at your leisure as my esteemed colleague, Darwin Whitecrest and I reveal the secret world of the LBS, with their permission, of course. -Anastasia van Orange

No comments: